Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Urban Moonshine


As I try to navigate getting older, I am also a lot more aware of what I put into my body.  When I hear anything about a natural remedy, I run to try it.  You read of so many scary side-effects from the medicines we are encouraged to take by doctors.  While I admit they have their values, I try to go as natural as possible.  I discovered Urban Moonshine while looking for alternatives to keeping healthy.




Crafted from exceptional blends of certified organic Vermont herbs and roots, complimented by a few worldly exotics, our digestive bitters revive the tradition of dazzling the palate while priming digestion.At Urban Moonshine we believe the root of good health is great digestion!Urban Moonshine is located on the beautiful shores of Lake Champlain in Burlington, VT. We started as a small family business at local farmers’ markets, and have grown into a thriving, nationally distributed herbal company. We specialize in organic digestive bitters and herbal tonics, formulated for accessibility, affordability, & effectiveness to support the modern lifestyle. Our blends are widely applicable, extremely safe, and delightfully palatable. We want to help you spark a revolution in your health!Our mission is to rekindle the relationship between herbal medicine and the modern world. Our goal is to inspire people to bring herbal medicine “out of the cupboard and onto the counter” in everyday life. We are pushing the envelope to make herbal medicine affordable and accessible to everyone, by creating a product line that distills the best of herbal medicine: Our formulas are safe, effective and fast-acting. They embody beauty and simplicity; and are made from the highest quality organic ingredients.

So then I was faced with the question...what exactly is a bitter?
The definition of a bitter is something that tastes bitter in flavor: dandelion, gentian, coffee, dark chocolate and greens are clas­sic bitters. Many traditional cultures around the world believe that it is important to have all 5 flavors within the diet and that each flavor has a specific effect on the body. The flavor of bitter is very much associated with the digestive system.Fast forward to modern times, as a culture we consume an immense amount of sweet, salty and processed food and we have a severe lack of bitterness. But our bod­ies are built for bitter flavors! Bitter engages and excites the digestive system. Bitter challenges the body, alerting it through taste that a complex food is being ingested, more complex than heavily processed food. It is very important for the body to have enough challenge—challenge keeps us strong, on our toes, ready for action! Bitters are like the gym for the digestive system, they help to keep it toned. 

Okay so I was on board.  A wake-up for my digestive system is just what the doctor (or rather, nature) ordered.  I got to try the  Organic Chamomile Digestive Bitters.  I am hooked.  This Organic and Gluten-Free bitter is helpful for those with occasional nausea (pregnant mommies, I am looking at you) and heartburn.  It has a pleasant taste which makes it easier for even the pickiest people to enjoy.  Ever since having my daughter, I always seem to have heartburn, and this has been a huge help!  I have the spray so I can carry it around with me.  It works so well, and is so easy!

I am looking forward to stocking my natural medicine arsenal with more goodies from Urban Moonshine.  The prices are affordable and the effects are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog