Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Romantic Prarie Cookbook


I love a good cookbook that allows me to make "real" food that my family will eat.  The Romantic Prairie Cookbook by Fifi O'Neill is just that kind of book.

The Romantic Prairie Cookbook champions environmental harmony and celebrates the land by using homegrown, flavourful ingredients taken directly from fields to table, as was customary centuries ago when living off the land and home cooking were essential to survival. This time-honoured tradition brings to the forefront the unique talents of a collection of artisanal qualities – from gardening to harvesting, baking, cheese making, preserving, pickling and more. Author and former restauranteur Fifi O'Neill has travelled from farm to farm, homestead to homestead, gathering together this unique collection of recipes that are a true reflection of the prairie way of life. Here you will find recipes to suit all occasions, from picnics to enjoy in the height of summer to warming dishes to ward off winter chills, from springtime delights that celebrate the return of fresh produce to suggestions for making the most of an abundant autumnal harvest. There are cherished recipes that have been handed down through the generations, and new twists on old classics. Whether you grow your own fruits and vegetables or buy seasonal, local produce from farmers' markets and roadside stands, The Romantic Prairie Cookbook is sure to include recipes to inspire and dishes that will soon become your own family favourites.

It is finally getting warmer in these here parts, and I am inspired to start really using the bounty I can find at local markets.  The recipes are well-thought out and comforting.  I am in love with the Johnny Cakes (a recipe I have tried with no success before now).  I know you are thinking, "how can you ruin Johnny Cakes?"  But, before now I always did.

I also have had great success with the Lemon Sour Cream Pie (Fifi says to use blueberries on top, but after my daughter gobbled ours, I opted for this delicious strawberries.  This pie is really perfect for so many occasions and is like cheesecake pie.  I could eat the whole thing by myself, but I won't.
I love that this book shares recipes from so many different people.  It is a unique and loving collection.  Some of the recipes are truly heirlooms.  The photography is breathtaking, as are the recipes.  Grab your copy and cook away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog