Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook



I have a bit (OK a huge) sweet tooth.  I am also a self-proclaimed anglophile.  So, when I read that Hummingbird Bakery was releasing a cookbook, I was thrilled to review it.  What is the Hummingbird Bakery you ask?  Well, for those living under a rock, here is the lowdown:

The Hummingbird Bakery was created by Tarek Malouf in early 2004, with shops in London’s Notting Hill, South Kensington, Soho, Islington and Spitalfields. His aim was to provide Londoners with the classic American bakes he’d enjoyed as a child. Hummingbird treats have been praised by magazines from Vanity Fair to Vogue.
Of course, like any skeptic, when I read that a place has received so much praise, I get skeptical, but one bit eof their creations made me a believer.  The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook  will not let you down.

Who can resist an adorable Vanilla Cupcake topped with candy-coloured buttercream frosting and sprinkled with hundreds and thousands? Take Cakes to the next level with some mouth-watering recipes. Red Velvet and Carrot are both favourites at the Bakery, and the Hummingbird Cake is a sweet, sticky triumph of banana and pineapple. Open Pies, pies with tops on, delicate pies and no-holds-barred pies: there's no shortage of options. Try Lemon Meringue with its mountain of golden fluffy meringue atop a rich, tangy lemon cream. You'll find favourite Pecan Pie here too. When you need a sweet fix, Brownies & Bars hit the spot. Rocky Road and Muesli Bars are always popular and make welcome additions to the lunch box. There can't be much that beats a home-made Blueberry Muffin with your first cup of coffee in the morning. Finally, there's something childishly satisfying about a big, chewy Cookie studded with chocolate chunks – there's something here for every kind of cookie fiend.

The recipes are surprisingly simple and for the first time in my entire cooking career, I have made the perfect Red Velvet Cupcake (with  Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook  of course).  Everything from the measurements to the cooking times are spot-on.  We all deserve a little treat now and then, and what better way to do so?  I have spent years trying to perfect the cupcake in my home.  My enthusiasm was shared by near and far (or just those that lived in my house and were lucky enough to get one).
 I even made Hummingbird Cupcakes (I simply used the recipe in the book for Hummingbird cake), and they were a huge hit. You have a good hint of heaven when you mix banana, chocolate and pineapple.

The  Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook  is sure to please.  Whether you are just trying your hand in the kitchen, or a seasoned baker, you have to give this incredible collection a try.  My jeans are not thanking me, but my family sure is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog