Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Skinny Smoothies

I think I became obsessed with smoothies when I was at university.  It was the beginning of the smoothie shops in NYC and I often grabbed one on my way to class.  What better way to get the nutrients I was sorely lacking, plus a pretty good meal in one.  I have carried that obsession with me.  My daughter often begs for a smoothie.  We use everything from fruits to kale and spinach in our smoothies.  I was super excited when Da Capo Press sent me Skinny Smoothies: 100 Delicious Drinks that Help You Detox and Lose Weight by Shell Harris and Elizabeth Johnson.

Smoothies are not only delicious, convenient, and fun to drink,but they’re also a great way to get your daily requirements of fruits and vegetables. However, not all are created equal when it comes to health–some smoothies from a popular chain weigh in at 500, 800, even 1,000 calories! Shell Harris and Elizabeth Johnson have tasted and tested hundreds. Skinny Smoothies features 101 original recipes for lighter drinks–low in fat and calories and high in nutritional value–ideal for anyone who wants to lose weight without feeling deprived. The book includes nutritional information and tips on foods and supplements to rid the body of harmful toxins. Try a Glowing Skin Smoothie or an Apricot Energy Punch, and get started on a delicious path to a healthier life.

I have enjoyed everything from the PB & Banana Smoothie to the "Greek Greenie" and the Tart Strawberry. I would have never thought to include some of the ingredients, like limes or lemons with these kind of fruits.


 The Blueberry with a Twist Smoothie (blueberries, limes and bananas!) and the Blue Peach Smoothie (blueberries, peach and wheat germ) are my favorites.  This books gives me amazing ideas for healthy smoothies, and each one is a huge hit.  We definitely needed the cleansing, and we have noticed small tummies too!  They are a great way to get vitamins, nutrients and have your children eat those foods they may not be so fond of in their natural form.  We just smoothie it up.

Sip away readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog