Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Self-Sufficient Living


I am constantly looking for ways to simplify my life and also make a more sustainable way of living for my family.  Better Way Books has proven to be a site I visit often for tips and the best books on changing and improving the way I live.  I have really fallen for the Little House In the Suburbs, a book about backyard farming and home skills for self-sufficient living by Deanna Caswell and Daisy Siskin.  It talks about why playing in the dirt and having your own garden is good for the body and soul.  It showed me how easy it was to become more self-reliant.
The easy-to-follow advice in this book will show you everything you need to know to enjoy an abundant, independent life on food and products grown in your own back yard.  You may feel like you have superpowers the first time you prepare a meal using only ingredients you grew in your garden. And is there anything you can’t do after you lather up with a bar of soap that you made in your own home? This book is full of recipes and tips that will help you discover the joy of self-sufficiency. Don’t worry; suburban gardening doesn’t mean you have to rip up your yard, or risk being ostracized by neighbors or your municipality or homeowners association.

I was unable to have my own garden, but we joined a CSA this year.  I also cannot have livestock or chickens and goats, but I am making sure to buy locally and this book offered me great advice for the eventual goats and chickens I plan on having.  I loved the recipes for canning and even making my own herb mixes.  Since we were so worried about the aluminum in deodorant, we made our won with baking soda, cornstarch and essential oils.  I cannot wait to make the lotion bars and the lip balm.  After a visit from my brother's dog, I used my own homemade carpet freshener with some baking soda and essential oils.  This book helped me to realize that I have the ingredients I need right in my own pantry.  We are saving money, gas and making ourselves a happier more sustainable home.

1 comment:

  1. Living with less and realize, getting more is a daily walk. Love your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog