Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Falling Cloudberries


It is school vacation in these parts, and I find myself drawn to the warmth of my kitchen. I love the memories we create during times like this. My nephews come to stay with us and escape city life. They enjoy the home cooking and helping. No other cookbook really captures memories quite like Tessa Kiros' Falling Cloudberries. This is more than a cookbook; it reads part-journal, part-travel guide.
The book is full of personal touches and stories. It is a beautiful collection of family anecdotes, history, and traditions all documented with stunning photography, unique illustrations, and a warm dialogue that will simply pull you in.

You feel like you are being let in to Tessa's mind and memories. Each dish in this delicious cookbook is part of her memory of her grandparents, parents, friends and other family members. Each dish and memory is more delicious than the next. Falling Cloudberries was a Gourmet Cook Book Club Selection; it is very easy to see why. The pictures capture you and the recipes keep you coming back for more.

We made the Avgolemono (Chicken Soup with Lemon and Egg. This is a Greek dish and it bursts with flavor. This is comfort-food at its best. We got through a particularly bad cold with this dish and I even had enough to freeze for leftovers. My picky eaters gobbled it up and my daughter loved seeing the process of making soup with a
whole chicken!

The Chickpea, Feta and Cilantro salad was a welcome calcium boost (from the chickpeas), and a flavor explosion. It is great on its own, or as we used it for a side dish for a family buffet get-together.
I read this book cover to cover, and I eventually had to stop marking pages of things I wanted to try and make since I realized I was marking almost every single page! As we wait for spring to shoot forth its first green buds, we are making memories of our own with Falling Cloudberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog