Monday, October 17, 2011

Yum-Yum Bento Box


I promised a post a Bento, and here it is. Yum-Yum Bento Box by Crystal Watanabe and Maki Ogawa is full of fun, easy ideas to bring your usual boring lunchbox from meh to wow! Crystal Watanabe makes bento boxes for her two preschool-aged children; her Web site “Adventures in Bento Making” is a popular forum for bento makers worldwide. Maki Ogawa is a mother whose bentos have been featured in many Asian magazines. She lives in Japan. In Japan, Bento Box lunches are a healthy lunch where mothers and fathers get to express their creativity and their love for their children. I was so intrigued, I had to get this book. It is full of easy step-by-step recipes that are so simple. I thought it would be so hard to make the fun foods I saw in the book, but they were so easy, and fun. I am intrigued by the creativeness of the adorable Bento Box Lunch designs. They really are an art-form.
Chapters include instructions for classic bento boxes and character-driven bentos (called Kyaraben), plus shopping advice, general tips and tricks, and much more. Stop wasting money on prepackaged lunches-and start making beautiful, healthy bentos!


I have to say I was pretty impressed with my first attempts. They look (almost) like the picture. I think Yum-Yum Bento Box is perfect for adults and children alike. Who could not use a little more whimsy (and healthy, fresh, food) in their lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog