Friday, July 2, 2010

Pear Tree Studio


As the world changes, we have come to realize we need to be more careful with how we use the items in our lives. While it seems like a new craze to make toys and blankets from recycled material, Marcy Schepker has been doing it for 15 years. Marcy runs Pear Tree Studio and is based in New Hampshire. She makes the most wonderful handmade toys for children (and items for the home) from recycled materials.

While touring a pre-school for our daughter, I was fortunate to see some of her handmade creations, and I fell in love. My daughter was immediately attracted to a large cat made from a recycled sweater. She then took little goslings and a horse out of a stable. Each piece was so simple, but that allowed her to create her own playscape. We got one of the cats, and it has been going everywhere with us since. The cat is a very good size and weighted to feel like the real thing. I was delighted when my daughter fell asleep with it on her feet. She has often napped at my mom’s with my mother’s cat napping with her, and I believe it brought the same delightful sensation home to her. These toys are also wonderful for children with sensory issues. With so many adorable pieces to choose from, you are sure to find a little critter your child will love. They are simply beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog