Friday, October 30, 2009

Stuffed Toys from Plastic Bottles?


I was having a pretty busy week a few weeks ago. My mom was in the hospital and while strolling the gift shop I picked up a super soft stuffed animal. It was from a line called Fuzz That Wuzz. Curious, I read the label, was so intrigued by what I read. The stuffed dog in my hands was made from recycled plastic PET bottles. How cool is that?! Mary Meyer has been manufacturing stuffed toys for 77 years. It is a family company that looks to keep on the tradition of well-crafted stuffed toys for children. They are the brand behind the wonderful Taggies toys everyone knows and loves. The company saw the growing trend for more natural and organic stuffed toys and came out with a bamboo line, an organic line, and the Fuzz That Wuzz gang.
Fuzz That Wuzz are so cute and cuddly. The outer fabric and the stuffing are both high-quality polyester fiber made from 100% recycled plastic PET bottles. Two million plastic bottles are used in the US every ten minutes and 51 billion go into landfills annually. It will take 700 years before plastic bottles in landfills start to decompose - and less than 30% of plastic bottles in the US are actually recycled. Each one of these toys keeps over 10 bottles out of a landfill! We have the Monkey (because as I think I mentioned, we are monkey crazy here). It is one of my daughter's favorite stuffed animals.

It is a small step in helping the environment, but each step, big or small is an important one. Imagine how many bottles could be saved from landfills if all your child's favorite stuff+ed toys were Fuzz That Wuzz?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog