Thursday, December 11, 2014

Japanese Stories for Children

I love to share the stories from other cultures with my daughter.  Though she is able to read on her own, I still cherish those nights when we cuddle up and I can share a story with her.  A great new favorite in our home is Urashima Taro and Other Japanese Children's Favorite Stories compiled by Florence Sakade and Illustrated by Yoshio Hayashi.

This beautiful children's book contains stories from Japanese folklore that have been passed down from generation to generation. Urashima Taro and Other Japanese Children's Favorite Storiesfeatures ten thrilling and funny adventures, including "The Fairy Crane," "The Dragon's Tears" and "Why the Red Elf Cried."

My daughter and I are both inspired by these stories of bravery and love.  The text lends itself to smooth and easy reading.  For a Japanese frined of mine, it brought back memories of her childhood.  The stories can be a little sad and scary for younger ears, but if you enjoy fairy tales (and we know how those can be), then these are just perfect.

 Urashima Taro and Other Japanese Children's Favorite Stories is a perfect choice for those doing the books for holidays advent event.  I love sharing these cultural gems with my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog