Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Veg Out


With a farm share and thrice weekly trips to a local farm stand for fresh vegetables, I can often be hypnotized with the gorgeous greens and vibrant reds.  I get home and think, "what will I do with all of this?  What can I make?"   I want to eat healthier and I try to incorporate as much veg as I can into my family's diets.  I feel noticeably better and more alive when I eat my vegetables.  I think vegetables can be delicious main dishes and do not need to be "sides".   I am thrilled with the help I have been getting from River Cottage Veg by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

Pioneering champion of sustainable foods Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall embraces all manner of vegetables in his latest cookbook, an inventive offering of more than two hundred vegetable-based recipes, including more than sixty vegan recipes. Having undergone a revolution in his personal eating habits, Fearnley-Whittingstall changed his culinary focus from meat to vegetables, and now passionately shares the joys of vegetable-centric food... In this lavishly illustrated cookbook, you’ll find handy weeknight one-pot meals, pure and simple raw dishes, and hearty salads as well as a chapter of meze and tapas dishes to mix and match. A genuine love of vegetables—from delicate springtime asparagus to wintry root vegetables—permeates River Cottage Veg, making this book an inspiring new source for committed vegetarians and any conscientious cook looking to expand their vegetable repertoire.

My family loves their meat, but I cannot be bothered.  I go through phases and right now, I cannot bear eating meat, so that makes this book even more heaven-sent.  The recipes are imaginative and delicious.  I have been making my meals for the day entirely out of this cookbook.  My  favorites include the Roasted Baby Beets with Walnuts and Yougurt Dressing and the Brussel Sprouts, Apple and Cheddar.

 My daughter is quite partial to the Raid-the-Larder Bean and Spelt Broth.  Yes, seriously.  She asks to bring it in her thermos to school for lunch as well.  It does wonders on a crisp fall day.  I cannot wait to try some of the pumpkin recipes including: North African Squash and Chickpea Soup and Cauliflower with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds).

River Cottage Veg will make your whole family want to eat their vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog