Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Colorful Cooking Day


It seems that even through my best efforts to prevent it, we all have a cold. Secretly, a part of me loves just sitting back cuddling with no school run or obligations...we are sick, you know! It brings out the child in me. My daughter and I use our time together to cook things that make us feel good, and we play and have puppet shows and watch fairy tale theater. One of my favorite cookbooks is Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros.
Tessa Kiros has circled the globe working in restaurants in Australia, Greece, Mexico, and London. Her extensive travel and multicultural background lend authenticity to more than 200 recipes, which are grouped by color and presented alongside vibrant photographs, sound cooking advice, and heartwarming anecdotes about friends, family, and the whimsies of childhood.

I adore her stories and the grouping by color is so genius. This cookbook reads almost like a diary of childhood (Tessa as a mum and a child) with such specific memories that are sure to make you smile and reminisce as well. We made the Vermicelli Soup with Tomato and Basil; it warmed our hearts and our bellies. I could not resist the little anecdote that went along with Honey Cake and Lemon Frosting (Tessa Kiros likened it to a party with Winnie the Pooh). It deliciousness was the perfect complement to an improptu tea party.

Whether you have a child, want a child, or simply loved being a child, Apples for Jam is the cookbook for you. I have it wrapped and ready to go for a few loved ones who I know will relish the cooking journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog