Thursday, January 14, 2010

Books, Books, Books

On the advice of a very good friend, I thought I would take the time, once a month to mention some lovely books I love to read to my daughter, and she loves being read to her. I have a compulsion when it comes to children's books. I love the simple yet meaningful story lines and the drawings always grab me. Here are some of our favorites this month:

Box of Treats by Kevin Henkes: Five little books about mice and candy, but written so simply with adorable illustrations. It has some little lessons about sharing. Each book is short but sweet, and it has been the perfect nighttime reading.



Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson: This was recommended by a friend, and has become a favorite. A bear hibernates while his woodland friends have a little party in his cave, and when they accidentally wakes him up, he gets mad. He is mad because he missed the party, but they soon figure out a way to include poor bear. Has great rhyming and adorable illustrations. I leave out words on the end of sentences, and my child loves finishing them. She also loves learning how to rhyme!

Peter in Blueberry Land by Elsa Beskow: Peter is looking for blueberries for his mother's birthday, and suddenly he is taken on an adventure by a magical elf and his family. Kids love the imagination, and the pictures are exquisite. Peter gets to be shrunk down to a small elf size and he meets the people in Blueberry Land, including Mrs. Cranberry and her daughters. There is a good reason this is a favorite for children of all ages. This book is often used in Waldorf classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog