Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Soup's On!

After a long winter's nap (and many flus and sickness), the Product Mommy family is back in action and trying their best to stay healthy.  



I recently had the opportunity to try a new cookbook The 30-Minute Vegan: Soup's On! More than 100 Quick and Easy Recipes for Every Season by Mark Reinfeld.  It is chock full of delicious, easy recipes for making delicious, vegan soups.  
In this definitive guide to vegan soups, award-winning chef Mark Reinfeld gives you all the tools and tips to create easy, flavorful meals—within thirty minutes or less.  Prepare to feast upon a wide array of plant-based soups—from consommés to stews, chowders to raw and dessert soups. From a selection of stocks to irresistible toppings and accompaniments...

I grew up in half-Polish and half-Italian family.  My Babcia was the matriarch of the Polish side and her cure for anything was soup.  In fact, when my daughter was born and we waited for my milk to come in, my mom immediately said I had to have soup (and whether real or subconsciously, it worked).  My Nana, the Italian matriarch, makes Italian wedding soup from a family recipe that no one comes close to.   So you see, soup is a huge part of my life.  I think nothing of spending all day making the perfect blend, but thankfully with  The 30-Minute Vegan: Soup's On! More than 100 Quick and Easy Recipes for Every Season, I don't have to.  While I am not vegan, I do not eat a lot of meat and I am allergic to dairy, so I was excited to try these recipes.

 First I made the Peasant Vegetable and Toasted Spice Soup.  It was a delicious blend of root vegetables that lends itself to improvisation according to seasonal availability.  I love the toasted spice (mustard seeds, cumin) and my daughter enjoyed it just as much. I have actually made more since and froze it to send to school etc.  

Next I took on the Szechuan Hot and Sour Vegetable soup.  I have to say, I am in love.  Any time I have ever ordered Hot and Sour soup, I always leave the meat.  I loved this because it was everything I love about a hot and sour soup without the bits I dislike.

There is no better cure for the winter blues than a nice bowl of piping hot soup.  We are also excited for the warmer weather and trying the Raw Cucumber Mint soup and Slushy Summer Fruit Soup.  The soup really is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog