Thursday, September 27, 2012

Homemade and Delicious


I am always on the lookout for cookbooks that are not overly fussy, but full of fun.  Homemade by Clodagh McKenna fits the bill in every way.  Her recipes take you from an elegant cheeseboard to a sunday dinner with the family.  Her recipes are now staples of our kitchen.  She even had great ideas for ways to make inspired sandwiches and treats for the lunchbox that will leave your children asking for "MORE PLEASE."  


With a strong focus on using local produce and eating together, Homemade brings together recipes and ideas gathered from years of travelling and taking notes. The book has stunning photography and illustrations, and is filled with household tips, notes on food producers, farmers' markets and Clodagh's favourite restaurants, cafés and bars. Chapters on aperitifs, lunchbox ideas, baking, mid-week suppers, home-made fast food, Sunday roasts, preserving, dinner party menus and edible gifts mean there really is something for everyone. Recipes include Fresh Mint Mojitos, Spiced Butternut Squash, Homemade Focaccia, Sunday Roast with all the Trimmings, Autumn Spiced Apple Chutney and Hazelnut Fudge. Practical and popular as well as delicious and nutritious, Clodagh hopes to get every family sitting down together for a meal.

It is turning chillier on the East Coast and for some reason, that inspires me to spend time in my kitchen baking.  For a delicious breakfast (or anytime treat), we used our fresh blackberries and blueberries to make Clodagh's Very Berry Muffins.   
 My daughter even asked to take one school.  I used Spelt Flour to make them even more nutritious.  



I have been enjoying Crunchy-Topped Yogurt Pots for breakfast every morning.  I cannot get enough!  Who knew that raisins, cinnamon, nuts and Greek yogurt would be such a treat?







Preserved Lemons were not only super-easy to make, I am dreaming about adding them to Cous Cous, chickens and fish dishes.  I love lemons and plan on making more for some holiday gift treats.

Perhaps the biggest hit from  Homemade were the Orange and Almond Biscottis, which my husband deemed "better than any he has every had."  I know I am bragging, but really the thanks go to Ms. McKenna.  

Gotta jet readers, I am off to make some Cous Cous and Chikpea salad.   Homemade has never tasted so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog