Monday, September 24, 2012

Fables



The first time I ever read a fable, I was completely besotted.  I thought it was so clever how there was this hidden lesson amid such a fun story. When I was lucky enough to see Fables by Arnold Lobel  I knew I had to share the joy with my daughter.
'Short, original fables with fresh, unexpected morals poke subtle fun at human foibles through the antics of animals. . . . The droll illustrations, with tones blended to luminescent shading, are complete and humorous themselves.' -- Association of Library Service to Children, ALA.

Because each fable is only a page long, they make fun reading for bedtime.  My daughter and I love to talk about their meaning.  It is a great way to open the dialogue between us.  Our current favorite is The Camel Dances with the moral "Satisfaction will come to those who please themselves."  The clever camel who is ridiculed by the critics proves them wrong with her own self confidence and conviction that she is indeed a wonderful dancer and dancing makes her happy.  Arnold Lobel's gorgeous illustrations make the stories come alive.

Snuggle up, and enjoy some hilarious stories with fabulous illustrations and maybe reminisce about the first fable you ever read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog